Thursday 3 June 2010

Ask yourself this...

If I got what I wanted, would I have what I want?

It's not a trick question.

If I got what I wanted, would I have what I want?

I'm sure you remember sometime in your life when you thought you reeeeally wanted something - a new watch or car or house or pair of shoes, and when you finally got it, you thought, well that was a bit of an anti climax! I'm not saying that everything you desire brings that experience once you have it. I'm simply asking are you sure that what you 'think' you want is 'actually' what you want?

I'm going to think about this question for a bit and see if I think differently about any of the things I think I want - an Audi R8 for example - I think it's beautiful, I'd love to have one - for a while anyway. I already presume that once the novelty has worn off I'd probably grow bored of it.

So why are we wanting all these things in the first place? Maybe we think we'll be more satisfied, happier, more secure yada yada. Maybe what we should actually be doing is thinking about how we want to 'be'.

Are you 'being' who you want to be? If not then maybe get back in touch with those experiences that reinforce how you want to be feeling. If you've always dreamt about playing an instrument go play one, if you always wanted to start your own business go start one.
Mark Twain once said:

" Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. "

We only live THIS life once so go live it - we're not on a rehearsal.

for now
Be Inspired
Stu

If you like this you'll probably like my other blog:
http://thechangeyourlifeblog.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment